Friday, February 11, 2011

a bit of catching up

So it has been awhile since I really tried to keep up a blog, so there has been a lot some might have missed.  For one I have finished all three issues of Cursed Pirate Girl vol. one.  Now a lot of you already do know that and might have even picked up the collection that is currently in comic shops.  If your local shop does not carry it, I would thank you to ask them to try.  It took a lot of work to accomplish and I'm still only half way there.  If you haven't purchased the trade then you won't know that vol. one is the first half of the story I wrote for the introduction of Cursed Pirate Girl.  There will be a volume two.  Sadly though I have not yet started working on it.  The story is written but that itself is only a very small portion of the whole.

Second, I have had the honor to work on two other comic titles.  The first came from the very talented David Petersen, who I am very lucky to call a good friend. I was asked to contribute a story to an off shoot project of his creation Mouse Guard called Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard.  It was an anthology book that gave comic professionals/fans the chance to immerse themselves in the world of Guardsmice.  My story was entitled The Battle of the Hawk's Mouse and the Fox's Mouse and can be found in issue one of Legends. 

I am very proud of this little ditty even though I colored it myself.  The following is one of my own pages from the story.

This is one of my favorites from the story, it shows the Hawk's mouse Faulknir.  My favorite part though are all the tiny mouse skulls dangling from the branches of the Hawk's nest.  The idea I had for that was since the mice were subservient to their lord the Hawk they would always be looking to show their loyalty to gain honor.  If a mouse family had little honor they could select among them a volunteer to go willingly to their lord and offer himself for supper.  This would bring the family much honor and the trophy of the offered mouse's skull would have a favorable place amongst the others.  The closer to their lord the more honored the sacrifice.  Those skulls that are placed in special shrines were of mice that accomplished great deeds in the name of their master.  I'm sure Faulknir's father has a very honored place among the top shrines.  For more about this story you can read about it on Dave's blog.  He featured each creator with an interview describing their stories and their creative processes.  my interview with David
I was also asked to contribute to a story from the pages of Felicia Day's -The Guild
The story I am in will be coming out in March, it is called The Guild: Tink [one shot].  I am just one of the artist's that have put ink to it and I am very happy I was asked to do so.  The story is written by Felicia and I humbly tried my best to make my part in it interesting to look at.  I'd post a sample if I could but you're just gonna have to wait.  Then again if you're an admirer of my work that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.  Here's a link to it on Dark Horse's site, Tink.

The only thing in my way of starting on vol. two of CPG is this little print I have to do for Olympian Publishing.  By little I really mean, the largest piece of artwork I've attempted thus far in the scope of Cursed Pirate Girl.  A while back Tom of Olympian Publishing had an idea to raise some money for printing the collection of vol. one, and that was to get it accepted on the site Kickstarter.com.  We were accepted and it was a runaway success.  We were able to raise a considerable sum at the end.  Towards the middle of our run on Kickstarter, Tom announces that if we reach the goal of 500 backers he would have me create a special print.  Well we reached 882 backers, and I'm about two months into creating this special print and I'm well over halfway.  Here is the link directly to Cursed Pirate Girl on Kickstarter, successfully funded.  I really like it so far I just hope everyone else feels it was worth the wait.  As soon as I accomplish this task I'm going right into work on the next issue of CPG.  I am reeeeeeeeaaaallly looking forward to it!  The next issue is titled The Bright Star. Hey... isn't that the name on that map she finds in Holly's cabin, you know, the one the skeleton hand gives her...?  Hmmmm... could be... Too bad it will be quite a while before any one finds out. 

Don't worry though, I'll put something up here from time to time.  Here, some more art to keep you wanting more.
Pandora
This one was for one of my biggest supporters, Tiara Thayer.  It was a birthday present for her last year and I had a lot of fun doing it.  She agreed to let me turn it into a print.  I will have these available at all the conventions I will be attending this year.

2 comments: